Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

My foodie friends

I love the weekends.  I just wish they were longer.  I love being able to get things done that I can't during the week, but I also like just relaxing with my family and friends.  I get so mad at myself when I look back on a weekend and all I did was run run run.  So, this past weekend I did a little running, but I am happy to say I did a lot of relaxing with some of my favorite "foodie friends".  
We started Saturday off with a trip to the Farmers Market where we got several ingredients for our dinner with friends later in the evening.  
Eggs, peaches, queso fresco and American cheddar.  Plus, beautiful flowers and a couple of peacock feathers!  Jeremy is making flies with the peacock feathers. They are so pretty!


Then I cleaned, chased a baby around and helped my mom pick out and outfit to wear to an outside wedding.  Yes, an outside wedding in June in Mississippi.  
Then it was time to relax with our dear friends the Weemses, (is that plural of Weems?)  Jamie, Julia and Jake.  
We my husband prepared our meal from all the things we bought the farmers market.  He really needs to be on one of those reality tv cooking shows.  He would win.   
Jeremy made a frittada with sausage, white cheddar cheese, eggs, fresh chives and parsley that was finished off with queso fresco. He also made homemade Parmesan and chive biscuits, garlic and herb hash brown potatoes and a nice little green salad with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette.  Then, the piece de resistance was the peach cinnamon oatmeal crumble yummyness!   Everything was so good and it was a long over due time with our wonderful friends! (our friends who don't care that we're missing a wall in our dining room!)



 Thank you, Jamie and Julia for the great wine and bubbly.  I recommend both.   



This is Jake and Ables.  They will soon be starting their first band together, the "Hurley Weems Experience"  (named by Julia).

On Sunday we loaded up and headed south to some of our other wonderful friend's home, which was long overdue visit as well.  Chris and Leighton live in New Orleans part of the year and the other part at their country home in Mississippi.  Leighton's sister, Susan Margaret and her husband Scott (some of our best friends as well) were also there with their children.  The kids were having so much fun a running around that I didn't get a picture of all of them.  Their land really is a paradise.  Can you imagine just walking through the woods behind your house and having this?!





I should have taken more pictures of their land!  I was having too much fun to take pictures, so you'll just have to trust me that it is Beautiful out there!  
Speaking of the creek, they did a bathroom renovation not too long ago and used rocks from the creek for the floor.  They hand picked every single rock and Chris did the floor himself.  It is so absolutely gorgeous and very smooth to walk on.  The pictures (especially mine) don't do it justice.

After creek time we came back up to the house for a late lunch/early dinner. (I really had no clue what time it was.  That happens when you're have so much fun!)
Leighton and Chris are both AWESOME cooks.  I mean, look at their refrigerator!  That means serious business to me!   
We had garlic shrimp with handmade corn tortillas, fresh homemade guacamole and salsa, and the most amazing corn on the cob that I've ever tasted.  It's a Mexican dish that I can't remember the name of.  Leighton brushed a thin layer of mayonnaise on the corn and then rolled it in shredded parmesan.  Don't knock it until you try it!  I'm not a mayonnaise fan and I LOVED this!  


I recommend that you make this corn this week!  You'll be happy you did!
Oh! The dog in the pictures had just showed up the day before.  He's a hunting dog, we're sure.  He's also pretty skinny, so he has probably been lost for a while.  He was really playful and great around the kids.  Let me know if you're interested in adopting him.  







No comments:

Post a Comment